Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Think tofu is bland? Start here.
Recipe #12: tofu with hot sauce
My mother has always disliked tofu when she was young. Tofu, by itself, has no taste. My grandfather, although a general, made food that was famous locally. Of course he knew how to make tofu dishes, but if anything tofu-related, my mother did not like it.
However, after marrying my father, she learned that he was her opposite. He loved everything soy. He would ask my mother to make tofu dishes for her.
Tofu has a high value, not only in nutrition. She started trying different methods to find out how to make tofu taste better. No matter how she cooked it, Dad said he loved it. Even when I was little, I also loved all of her tofu dishes. She soon learned that she was liking it as well. Now we can't say that there goes a week without tofu.
This dish loks good and taste good. It carries some spiciness, and even though I don't a whole lot of spicy food, I like this dish. But it is among the one that is easier to make.
Tofu with Hot Sauce（辣醬豆腐）
1. 1 carton regular tofu（19oz）
2. 1 scallion, chopped into 1cm pieces
3. 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
4. 1 tsp. soybean sauce
5. 2 tsp. broad bean paste with chili
6. 1 tbsp. water
7. A small pinch of salt
1. Cut the Tofu into 1/2” cubes, set aside, drain extra water.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium size saucepan.
3. Add tofu, and immediately sprinkle a little pinch of salt.
4. Using spatula, gently flip the tofu so that all sides are exposed to the salt and heat. When tofu is lightly yellow or golden brown add soiy sauce and paste.
5. Flip the tofu so that all pieces can touch the sauce, while adding 1 Tbsp. water to avoid dryness.
6. When water is almost gone, sprinkle scallions on tofu, mix well and serve hot.
1. You can use both medium-firm and soft tofu. But medium breaks less likely.
2. Different brands of sauce can use soy sauce of broad beans. Because they taste almost the same, you can use either.
3. Tofu releases water easily, but soak tofu in salted water solves this problem. But if you don't have time, immedialtyty salt upon putting in frying pan.
4. Scallions or leek can be mixed in the tofu before or after serving.
5. You can serve in a dish or a heated pot.
6. If you don't want the spicy version, you can replace the bean paste with soy sauce, or use 1 tsp. bean paste and 2 tsp. soy sauce. But don't use a 3 tsp. for bean paste! For fans of spicy food, add peppers while frying.