Sunday, September 5, 2010
The other way to eat bacon
Recipe #17: green onion (scallion) and bacon focaccia
From my memory, I never liked yeast bread when I was little... until my mother started making her own bread.
Unexpectedly, I started enjoying it. So far, my mother has made dozens of types of bread, with the bacon and scallion focaccia being one of my favorite types.
Not only do I like it, all of her friends' eyes would light up (you can see from the pictures) when I deliver it to them. After eating, they would tell me, "You're so lucky. How to you get to enjoy so many good foods every day?" Naturally, this has become their favorite as well.
For the base:
1. 3/4 cup water
2. 1 extra-large egg
3. 1/4 cup olive oil
4. 1 tablespoon sugar
5. 2 cups bread flour
6. 1 cup whole wheat flour
7. 1 tsp salt
8. 2 tsp yeast
For the topping:
1. 8-9 strips of thck bacon, cooked
2. 2 Tbsp. scallions, chopped
3. 1 Tbsp. Caesar salad dressing
4. 1 small egg, slightly beaten
Making the dough (the method is similar to that of the onion focaccia):
1. Mix base ingredients in bread machine
2. Set to "dough"; Once the dough is ready, remove it from the container and punch it down.
The finished product:
1. With the dough punched down and split into 2-3 pieces (depending on your liking),
2. Roll the dough into a long piece.
3. Arrange cooked bacon on top of dough.
4. Spread beaten egg on dough and bacon; cover the surface.
5. Place in oven for about 18-22 minutes.
6. Remove from oven when bread is golden nd immediately add scallions. Put back in oven for 1 minute.
7. Place on wire rack and squeeze Caesar salad dressing to increase color and appearnce; serve warm.
1. Be sure follow the insructions on the bread machine; many machines work differently, especially when it comes to moisture. Adjust the water to fit; one rule of thumb is that the longer it takes to knead, the more water is required.
2. If you do not want to use whole wheat flour, you can use three cups of white flour.
3. If you are using thin bacon, you do not need to cook it first.
4. You don ;t need the salad dressing if you dn;t have it. However, it grealy improves the taste.
5. You can cut the bread into pieces and serve on plates.