Saturday, November 6, 2010
A Mediterranean sensation on a plate
Recipe #56: grilled mussels
1. 12 fresh mussels
2. 1 Tbsp. pesto
3. 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs
4. 2 cloves of garlic, minced
5. pinch of parmesan cheese
6. 2 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Clean mussels and remove one half of the shell
2. In a bowl, mix pesto, bread crumbs, garlic, olive oil and parmesan well.
3. Spread mixture on mussels.
4. Using broil, preheat 10 minutes. Put in mussels for 5-7 minutes until golden.
1. If you don't have fresh mussels, frozen ones work as well, as long as they are thawed.
2. Pesto can be bought in warehouse or Italian stores, or in supermarkets, often freshly made. If you don't use up the pesto, you can save it for a later batch.
3. Because pesto tends to be salty, we don't add other condiments.
4. Pesto contains pine nuts, so those allergic to them should avoid this.